DameWare Mini Remote Control (DMRC) v5 was released Friday. It has quite a few updates and now includes multiple monitor support which is THE feature our AV guys were wanting...
- Changed Protocol Version. This will require a Client Agent update when connecting machines running prior versions of the Client Agent Service.
- Extensive GUI enhancements, including brand new graphics & themes
- New DameWare Display Mirror Driver for enhanced video performance (see DWMDReadMe)
- Multiple Monitor support for both the local and remote machines. Multi monitor toolbar will automatically display when remote machine has multiple monitors (appended to full-screen toolbar when in full-screen mode)
- Greatly improved Smart Sizing functionality
- New Remote Connect dialog which utilizes Graphical Icons & menus, vs old style buttons (can be turned off to revert to legacy)
- New Reconnect option added MRC main toolbar, which allows you to quickly reconnect to one of recently connected machines
- New "Connect on Reply" from MRC Agent Ping (non-ICMP) functionality added to Ping dialog. (Useful when rebooting remote machines)
- New TaskBar & Title Bar icons & text for each MRC session state, "connected" vs. "disconnected", to easily identify connected vs disconnected sessions. This also affects icons in ALT+TAB O/S window, as well as Taskbar Groupings in WinXP
- New improved Service Install & Remove options from within Remote Connect dialog
- New Program Options dialog for settings that are not host specific
- Support for Nested Global Groups within the MRC Client Agent’s "Must be a member of this Global Group" feature
- Enhancement for Slow Speed links
- Ability to display connection properties from the View / View Connection Information menu
- MRC is now "Instance aware" ( , , ,.....), so each instance of the software running will now remember the last machine connected to for that instance
- Enhanced connection information included in email notifications
- Added Rename Folder option to right-click context menu in MRC Tree View
- New functionality to allow for customization of the Toolbar Icons
- Added three new command line options for MRC application (-v: View Only, -md: Use MRC Mirror driver if available, & -i: Instance Override)
- Added new Simple File Transfer status notification when in Full-Screen mode
- Improved SysTray icon notification functionality
- Numerous internal performance improvements
- Added option within MRC Client Agent Service to set default focus on Decline when Permission Required dialog is displayed
- Added drop down list to "Connect to Client" (Reverse Connection) functionality in Client Agent Service, to keep track of recent connections
- New style Notification dialogs in MRC Client Agent
I upgraded and used v5 a couple times this weekend to remote from home to work ... it updates the remote client to the new version without a hitch on all 3 workstations I tried it on. I'm running 3 monitors on my work PC and before when I'd remote it I'd only see the first screen. With v5 I can see all the 3 screen images (see below and click to enlarge) ... waahoo!
(for reference: IE7b2 is running in monitor 1 not quite maximized, Outlook is running maximized in monitor 2, and the widgets and trillian are hangin' out in monitor 3)
v5 also has a new optional "mirror" driver that I'm finding makes a big improvement in video performance...especially over VPN.
So if you want a very powerful remote control app ... go give the 30 day trial of DMRC a spin.